Gurudwara Gurhatri at Peshawar
This historical shrine is located in Mohalla (locality) Ganj of Peshawar
city. It is also known as Gurhatri and Dharamsala Baba Sri Chand. According
to the older biographies Guru Nanak Ji, came here during his fifth itinerary.
A Muslim leather merchant named Abdur Rehrnan presented Sat Gur with
a pair of shoes. Guru Nanak Dev Ji was very pleased and in return give
him his old pair of shoes. It remained with his family for the next four
generations. Then Rahim Khan took it to Hoti Mardan and left it in charge
custody of Sardar Sant Mota Singh and then never came back. He gave this
sacred pair of shoes to his friend Manna Singh. His adopted son Bhai
Natha kept it with love and devotion. In 1934 AD it was present in the
house of a friend named Gur Bukhsh Sin gh.
Baba Sri Chand built a Dharamsala over the site of the Abdur Rehman's shop which came to be called Guru Hatri and Dharamsala Baba Sri Chand.
Only one door of the sacred place is standing, the remaining building was demolished and had been reconstructed. It now houses a girls school.
|Text and photographs:Historical Sikh Shrines in Pakistan : Iqbal Qaiser|